Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Care Package...

In the update that we just received, the staff said that Elli could use a few things...not that they didn't have them, they were just "old". We won the care package from Blessed Kids in the Love Without Boundaries auction that contained an outfit, stuffed toy, book, blanket and disposal camera. I have sent all the information to their contact and hopefully she will send the package in the next week. The staff also mentioned that she could use some shoes, so I contacted the lady that has done our other care package and updates for us. Ladybugs N Love prepared for us another care package that should arrive at the orphanage on Friday or Saturday. Along with a letter to the orphanage staff, Angela purchased 2 outfits and shoes for Elli. I think Elli will look pretty dashing in her new clothes...


In the letter to the orphanage staff, I asked that if at all possible, they try to help Elli understand about us coming. She has pictures of us and I suggested that it would be great if she was familiar with our faces. I just hope that the transition for Elli will be smooth. She is older and has much more understanding than Anna did when we adopted her. I know that Elli has a routine, friends and language. It has been my prayer for over a year now that God would prepare her for our coming...I have to trust that he is doing just that.

Not nearly as big of a deal, but I did also ask that since we were coming so soon, that they not cut her hair. I know that may sound silly, but for her own comfort and "fitting" in here in America, I didn't want her to come home with a shaved head. If she does, that's fine - she's beautiful hair or not...but I hope that they haven't cut all her lovely black hair off. Some orphanages don't cut the older girls' hair off so short, but I have seen some much older girls that they shaved. I understand the reasoning behind it from a sanitary stand point, but you know, how many girls want their heads shaved? Anna was so young, she didn't really notice or care for that matter...but it wasn't long until she began to love long hair and even now is totally consumed at times playing with her hair...it's just a girl thing.

When Angela emailed me the pictures of the clothing that she picked out for Elli, she told me that she got the height for Elli....95 cm or 37 1/2 inches. We measured Anna this morning and Elli is about 2 inches taller than Anna. So, she is bigger, but she isn't going to be as big as we initially thought. I think that 3Ts will do...especially if they are loose fitting and we LOVE loose fitting clothes around here :-) Last night I was changing out winter for summer clothes (torturing myself). I had a whole pile of clothes from my sister-in-law for Anna and Elli - THANK YOU AMY!! Lots and lots of cute dresses that I think will work out great for her.

Even though I know that we don't need to travel until June, I am getting very weary for our Travel Approval. Our agency was getting a package from China yesterday and we really thought our TA would be in the package - it wasn't. I was so bummed all night. I couldn't sleep because I was soooo disappointed. All night, tossing and turning - trying not to cry - just thinking about how it seems we have been "overlooked" again! I know, drowning myself in pity...yes, it does get old at times. I know that the timing will be perfect...it always is, but sometimes the wait is just hard. God has been faithful to us over, and over again. I know that his mercies don't run out, they are new every morning...and this morning - I was given her height. Small to some, but to me...not at all. Why? Because I now know that my baby girl is 37 1/2 inches tall. Something that I have wondered for over a year now. Those tiny nuggets of random information that we take for granted when we have our children playing at our feet...they are precious treasures when your child is half a world away.

Looking forward to things to come & sending love to our Elli,
Rodney, Marcy, Carter, Jacob, Parker & Anna

1 comments:

Linda said...

Marcy, we adopted two of our daughters at about the age that Elli is. Ruthie was 2 years, 9 months, and Abby was 2 1/2 years. I don't want to be negative, but I would caution you to be prepared (at least during the first couple of days) if she does not take to you right away. Ruthie would have nothing to do with me for the first few days, and it was a gradual process after that. Abby was just so sad. She could not stop crying for days. They really DO adjust quickly considering the trauma they are going through, but if you have any questions or just want to chat, please feel free to e-mail me. I'd love to help in any way. rl shoe mate @ msn. com (no spaces)

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker